Chapter 4 Learning Outcomes
- Explain the intricate relationship between social structure and social interactions.
- Understand the differences between mechanical and organic solidarity.
- Describe the basic structural features of foraging, horticultural, pastoral, agricultural, industrial and post-industrial societies, and outline the theories on social change.
- Define each type of social status: ascribed, achieved and master status.
- Define social roles and explain their relationship to social status and social interaction.
- Explain the role of rites of passage and be able to compare them across cultures.
- Understand each component of the social structure and relationships to one another, including groups, social institutions, subcultures, statuses and roles.