1. There are three major economic systems discussed in the text, including socialism, capitalism and democratic socialism. What are the major features associated with each of these economic systems?
2. Consider the pros and cons of capitalism, socialism and democratic socialism. Which system do you see as most desirable? Why?
3. Three economic sectors are outlined in section 11.2, including the primary, secondary and tertiary sectors. Explain how each sector differs from the other, and how the dominance of each has changed over time. How do these changes align with forms of society?
4. What is globalization? Take a moment to brainstorm about globalization. What do you see as the most positive and the most negative outcomes of globalization? Consider your own experience in relation to globalization. What are some ways your life reflects and/or is influenced by globalization?
5. Define power and explain the difference between authority and coercion. Provide examples from your own experience of both authority and coercion.
6. The three types of authority are traditional authority, charismatic authority and rational-legal authority. Explain each of these types of authority and provide examples of each from your own life or society. Charismatic authorities are often seen as threatening to the status quo. Why is this?
7. There are two competing theories related to how power is distributed: the power elite theory and the pluralist theory. Explain each of these theories. Which of the theories that you think is most accurate. Why do you think this?
8. Democratic, monarchal, authoritarian, and totalitarian types of government are discussed in the text. What are the main traits of each of these forms of government? It was discussed that democracy has been on the rise since the early 1900s, while the number of autocracies has declined. What factors have caused this transition?
9. What are the traits of individuals most likely to participate in U.S. elections and political activities? Why? What are some policies and structural changes that could be pursued in order to increase political participation?
10. War and terrorism are examined in the final section of this chapter. In this section, there is a discussion of the root causes of war, including both biological and social explanations. Outline each and discuss the evidence supporting the social explanation.
11. Looking at terrorism, different solutions have been promoted to help reduce terrorism, including a law enforcement/military approach and a structural approach. Outline each of these approaches and discuss the pros and cons of each.