1. In the first few pages of Chapter 4, there is discussion of the Girl Scouts. Think of another organization in society and discuss how the ideas and actions of this organization demonstrate the socialization process.
2. Feral or isolated children are those who have grown up during their key developmental years with little or no interaction with other humans. What conclusions have been drawn by researchers (as discussed in your textbook and the following video on isolated children: Abandoned toddler rescued and raised by feral dogs) about the ability of socially isolated children to adapt and integrate into their society once found?
3. There are several theories on socialization and the development of self from a sociological perspective focused on in this chapter, including Cooley’s theory of the looking-glass self and Mead’s theory on taking the role of the other. Choose one of these theories to summarize and provide an example from your own experience that demonstrates the theory under discussion.
4. Erving Goffman was a prominent sociologist who contributed greatly to the field during the 20th century. Two of his theories are discussed in Chapter 4, including the theory of dramaturgy and the theory of total institutions. In the dramaturgical theory, Goffman related identity development to theater. Please explain. In your discussion, make sure to outline and provide examples of his key ideas, including: front stages, back stages and impression management.
5. Think about our gender norms within the context of socialization. Come up with a list of 5 gender norms assigned to females and 5 assigned to males. Based on this information, discuss who teaches us gender norms (agents of socialization) and give a specific example from your own experience demonstrating how one of these agents taught you the gender norms of society.
6. In the discussion of the life course perspective, the impact of social location on childhood socialization is discussed, including research from the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics. What findings from this report are discussed? What are some of the consequences that may result from these factors?
7. Resocialization occurs when an individual goes through a dramatic change in their life circumstances, is immersed into a total institution, experiences a significant religious or political conversion and/or is radicalized. Discuss an example from your own experience (say if you are a member of the military) or from someone you know that demonstrates resocialization. How were beliefs, values and norms altered as a result of the resocialization process?
Section 4.7 References
All rights reserved content
60 Minutes. (2018, November 7). Abandoned toddler rescued and raised by feral dogs | 60 Minutes Australia. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3ocntSSUU.