Chapter 1 Learning Outcomes
- Define sociology and understand what it means to adopt the sociological perspective.
- Understand the historical context from which the field of sociology emerged.
- Outline the relationship between social inequality, social structure and the experiences of people in society.
- Describe the basic structural features of foraging, horticultural, pastoral, agricultural, industrial and post-industrial societies.
- Understand the 3 major theoretical perspectives, apply the perspectives to social issues and connect them to macrosociology and microsociology.
- Discuss the contributions of the foundational figures in the field of sociology.