Skip to content
Chapter 3: Culture
Chapter Learning Outcomes
- Define culture and understand it as an evolutionary adaptation that humans rely on to exist in social structures.
- Explain how the dominant ideology influences the creation of culture.
- Describe the components of culture and understand the relationship between material and non-material culture.
- Discuss the different types of cultural groups, including subculture, counterculture and dominant culture.
- Understand and be able to apply the following concepts: ethnocentrism, cultural relativism, cultural lag, culture shock and cultural leveling.
- Outline the means through which cultures change.