Skip to content
Chapter 6: Deviance, Crime and Social Control
Chapter 6 Learning Outcomes
- Outline the methods of social control and distinguish between formal and informal social control.
- Define deviance, understand what is meant by the relativity of deviance and discuss the role sanctions play in conformity.
- Compare and contrast the major sociological perspectives on deviance and their respective theories.
- Outline the types of crime, patterns of crime and analyze the debate over the prosecution of victimless crime.
- Explain the get-tough approach on crime and discuss its relationship to mass incarceration.