Chapter 9 Learning Outcomes
- Explain the difference between racial and ethnic groups and outline the sides of the debate over the idea that race is biologically derived versus a social construct.
- Distinguish between minority and dominant group status and discuss how and why minority groups are established.
- Explain stereotyping, prejudice and individual and institutional discrimination and discuss how stereotyping and prejudice help to promote and perpetuate social inequality between groups.
- Outline the patterns of intergroup relations and provide examples of each.
- Describe the current and future projections for the racial-ethnic makeup of the U.S.