Skip to content
Chapter 8: Global Stratification and Demography
Chapter 8 Learning Outcomes
- Explain global stratification and outline the ways in which the world’s countries are stratified and the strata are geographically concentrated.
- Define absolute poverty, map the world regions where absolute poverty is most prevalent and explain the consequences of global stratification and absolute poverty for countries and individuals.
- Outline the major theories on global stratification and understand the connections to the major theoretical perspectives.
- Define demography and outline the key demographic indicators used to predict changes in population.
- Provide an overview of global population growth from a historical perspective and analyze and assess the projections for future global population growth.
- Understand how and why key demographic indicators vary between countries and explain the implications of demographic trends.
- Outline and assess the validity of theories on population growth.
- Draw and interpret population pyramids and understand the connection to the demographic transition model.