Chapter Learning Outcomes
- Define sex and gender and understand the social construction of gender vs sex as a biological concept.
- Discuss gender socialization, and how family, peers, schools, the mass media, and religion are social agents for gendered pathways.
- Define gender roles, gender expectations, and gender identity. Gain an understanding of the term gender spectrum.
- Understand societal expectations of gender based on the influence from cultural and environmental cues.
- Explain the institutionalization bases of gender.