Chapter Learning Outcomes
- Explain why compulsory education arose in the 19th century and discuss the relationship between formal education and national culture, economic conditions and social location.
- Define education and compare and contrast how the purpose, process and outcomes of the educational institution are discussed within each of the theoretical perspectives.
- Outline and critique the problems and proposed solutions associated with the U.S. educational system.
- Define religion, distinguish between sacred and profane aspects of society and outline aspects of culture associated with religion.
- Compare and contrast the functionalist and conflict perspectives on religion and discuss Weber’s theory on the relationship between religion and social change.
- Explain how the forms of religion have changed historically, outline and provide examples of the different types of religious groups, and discuss the geographic distribution of current major world religions.
- Summarize the main features of religion in the U.S., including issues related to segregation, pluralism and secularization.